About Funding

Home care funding benefits and allowances

The first thing to do once you know that there is a need for home care and support, be that for yourself or for a loved one is to see if there is any entitlement to care funding. There are different types of care funding and you may be entitled to more than one of them. Some social care funding support is means tested or health and ability tested, whereas others are not. The following is a guide to what might be available to you.

Local Authority funded home care – means tested

You may be entitled to social care funding support, subject to your financial circumstances. For more details contact your local social services who can advise you further. If you have already been assessed by your local council as needing social services support, you are likely to be allocated a Personal Budget, this can be paid in the form of Direct Payments or Individual Budgets. You may come across many other phrases for these but fundamentally they all mean the same important thing, that you have more choice and control over the care and support you receive. Often, the Local Authority does not provide funding to cover everything that you wish to include in your care plan and only covers the basic essentials. You may wish to top up your care plan and pay for some extras yourself. It is possible to do this and many of our customers do. There are benefits available which are not means tested, so you may be entitled to receive these in addition:

Social care payments – not means tested

This is a benefit which is not qualified by how much money, assets, or pension you have but by your age or your personal ability to perform necessary daily living tasks.

Disability and long term sickness payments

If you have a disability or a long term health condition or illness then you may be entitled to receive a Personal Independence Payment (PIP), which replaces the previous Disability Living Allowance (DLA). Personal Independence Payment helps with extra costs associated with long-term ill-health or a disability if you’re aged 16 to 64.

Financial assistance for older adults

You may be eligible to receive Attendance Allowance (AA) if you’re physically or mentally disabled and aged 65 or over. Attendance Allowance is for providing extra help with personal care needs.

Carer’s allowance

You may be entitled to receive Carer’s Allowance, which is available to anyone who is caring for someone with substantial care needs. You do not have to be related to them or living with them but you do need to spend 35 hours a week or more caring for them. You may also receive Carer’s Credit which keeps your NI up to date. If you are caring for someone, you will need to think about your time off. Direct Payments can be used for this. Rhythmic Care provides respite care, we can also help with advice and guidance. Read more about our respite care services.

Further assistance with care funding

Payingforcare.co.uk is an impartial and consumer friendly website providing information on all aspects of care funding including local authority assessments, care entitlements, costs of care and arranging care for someone else. Visitors have instant access to professional, specialist care fees advice through their live chat service.

What is a Self Directed Support?

Self-directed support is about people being in control of the support they need to live the life they choose. People are now able to self-direct their care or support in a number of different ways through Direct Payments, Individual Budgets or Personal Budgets. We have comprehensive experience in working with Individual Budgets, Direct Payments and Personal Budgets. Whether services are funded by the NHS or wholly or partly by your local council, we can help.  

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.
Rhythmic Care Partners